Consumer Action provides free legal advice to Victorian consumers by email and over the phone.

Email a lawyerUse our online form to send us an email.

Speak to a lawyer – Call the Consumer Advice Line and speak to a lawyer.

Self help kits – You can also view our self help kits about common consumer law problems.

The kinds of legal help we provide

Consumer Action’s experts can assist with a wide range of consumer law problems, including disputes about:

  • defective goods
  • the supply of services
  • banking
  • bankruptcy
  • consumer leases (including “rent to buy”)
  • credit
  • debt collection and debt assistance services
  • door-to-door sales
  • electricity, gas and water
  • insurance (other than following road traffic accidents)
  • mortgages
  • motor vehicle purchases
  • refunds
  • telephone and internet
  • unfair contract terms

If English is your second language or if you have a speech or hearing impairment, please read our interpreters page for more information on how we can assist you.