Are you a qualified legal practitioner with 2-3 years PAE? Use your expertise to represent consumers and to further Consumer Action’s mission of advancing fairness in the marketplace, particularly for the vulnerable and disadvantaged.
Reporting to the Director of Legal Practice, you’ll be part of our legal team providing telephone advice to callers, undertaking strategic casework and litigation on behalf of vulnerable disadvantaged consumers, identifying systemic issues and researching the law and reviewing legal documents. More detail is found in the position description attached. You can also learn more about what it is like to work at Consumer Action in this video:
This is a full-time role located at our offices in Melbourne CBD: (0.8 FTE may also be considered). The salary offered will be between $67,000 – 75,000 per annum, depending on experience, plus superannuation. Consumer Action Law Centre offers fringe benefit salary packaging to employees, so depending on individual financial circumstances the value of the salary may be equivalent to $5,000 – $7,500 higher.
Does this sound like you?
- You hold, or are eligible to obtain, a current practising certificate in the State of Victoria;
- You have experience in commercial litigation and in both courts and tribunals;
- Your strong commitment to advancing the public interest and social justice can be seen from your work and/or volunteer experience to date;
- You have a growing ability to formulate and implement dispute resolution strategies;
- You enjoy applying your outstanding legal research and technical legal analysis skills;
- You’re interested in identifying systemic issues and to identify policy and advocacy opportunities based on casework experience, together with an understanding of the relationship between client advocacy and systemic advocacy;
- You’re flexible, enthusiastic, and open to the challenges of work in a community legal centre;
- You know a little, or a lot, about consumer law, and you’re keen to learn more.
If you’d like to apply, send your CV together with a cover letter outlining your responses to the following:
- How have you shown a commitment to advancing the public interest and social justice in your work and/or outside work activities?
- Describe a time where you’ve worked on a piece of commercial litigation: what strategy(ies) did you apply and what was the outcome?
- Tell us about a time you worked with disadvantaged, low-income, culturally and linguistically diverse client groups: how did you ensure your communication was effective, and what factors did you consider to ensure your advice and advocacy was appropriate and meaningful/effective for the individual concerned?
Send your application to:
Human Resources Manager
Consumer Action Law Centre
Applications close Friday 9 June 2017170529_Position Description_Solicitor