Are you a qualified Financial Counsellor? Are you looking to have real impact in driving systemic change?
At Consumer Action Law Centre, our vision is:
a just marketplace where people have power and business plays fair
If you want to work with a great group of people who help people, and you’re a qualified financial counsellor, we would love to hear from you.
About the Role
We’re looking for a financial counsellor to join our team on a 12 month fixed term contract basis. This is a full-time vacancy (0.8 may be considered).
Our financial counsellors provide telephone based financial counselling services and referrals for individuals seeking information and support with debt and financial issues.
If you’re ready for a challenging and varied role that includes:
- Providing financial counselling sessions to assist clients to address their situation and make informed decisions;
- Providing occasional outreach services;
- Mentoring trainees and providing peer support for trainees, other financial counsellors and new team members;
- Working to identify legal and policy issues arising from financial counselling, and participating in Consumer Action’s broader policy and advocacy initiatives.
We’re looking for a qualified financial counsellor and member of the Financial and Consumer Rights Council of Victoria. You’ll need sound technical knowledge of the full range of financial counselling issues, combined with good touch typing skills and computer literacy. Ideally you’ll have experience in the use of a switchboard and/or telephone based information service. If you have just qualified, experience in the community sector and/or in the provision of legal or welfare information services is highly desirable.
You also have:
- Outstanding listening and communication skills; you can manage potentially challenging clients in stressful and emotionally charged situations;
- The practice of thinking quickly and prioritising tasks under pressure;
- A flexible, pro-active and resilient attitude, including the ability to work under direction;
- The ability to communicate complex information in a practical, accurate and understandable manner;
- Demonstrated ability to work within a counselling framework and to recognise the way in which other issues may interact with personal financial issues;
- A demonstrated interest in and commitment to social justice, including awareness of issues such as homelessness, mental health, family violence, disability, drug and alcohol problems and criminal activity.
This full-time, fixed term position is located at our offices in Melbourne CBD. The salary range offered is between $67,000 – $75,000 commensurate with experience, plus superannuation. Consumer Action Law Centre offers salary packaging, therefore depending upon personal financial circumstances the value of the salary may be equivalent to up to approximately $5,000 – $8,000 higher.
For more information, refer to the attached position description [PDF].
How to Apply
Please submit your application by 5 pm Monday 29 April 2019 to:
Human Resources Manager, email@example.com
Consumer Action Law Centre is committed to building a diverse workforce. We strongly encourage applications from Aboriginal people, people with disability, people from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, mature age workers and LGBTI people.