***Fixed-term parental leave cover***
The Director Policy and Campaigns leads the Policy and Campaigns team to strategise, plan and implement campaigns and policy activities which further Consumer Action’s mission of achieving more equitable outcomes for consumers, particularly for those who are disadvantaged and vulnerable. We seek an experienced leader on a fixed term basis until January 2020. This is great opportunity for a manager with significant specialist knowledge of public policy analysis and development to step into a directorship and to experience a leadership role in a fast-paced, social justice driven community legal centre.
Among other activities, you’ll be required to:
- Lead our team of expert & professional policy and campaigns specialists;
- Act as a key source of Consumer Action’s expertise in shaping the legislative and policy agenda for consumer issues generally within Australia;
- Provide leadership and strategic direction for the Centre’s policy and campaigns work, including facilitating policy and campaign planning processes;
- Work with staff across the organisation to identify systemic issues and campaign opportunities arising from outreach, casework and advice services;
- Oversee media and communications activities and undertake media, events and presentation work;
- Undertake stakeholder liaison including participation in relevant consultative fora, and engagement at a decision-maker level with government departments, industry, parliamentarians and regulators;
For more information about the role refer to the position description (see below).
- Hold a tertiary degree in a relevant discipline, such as law, economics or public policy, and/or substantial experience in a similar field, together with a demonstrated commitment to social justice and fairness;
- Can demonstrate a high level of literacy supported by advanced word processing skills;
- Have familiarity with the theory and practice of policy making, research, and regulatory issues (specialist expertise in consumer protection, competition, financial services and credit will be an advantage);
- Have significant experience in stakeholder management and advocacy and/or policy development at a national level;
- Enjoy leading and managing a team of committed professionals;
…then we would love to hear from you.
This is a fixed-term (parental leave replacement) position until January 2020, located at our offices in Melbourne CBD. The salary offered will be between $105,300 – $109,200 per annum, depending on experience, plus superannuation. Consumer Action Law Centre offers fringe benefit salary packaging to employees, so depending on individual financial circumstances the value of the salary may be equivalent to $6,000 – $8,000 higher.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, send your CV together with a cover letter outlining your experience across the following key selection criteria:
- Describe your experience managing a team: how would you characterise your leadership style?
- In what ways have you demonstrated a commitment to advancing the public interest and to social justice through your work?
- Describe your approach to complex stakeholder management and/or community engagement, including with Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander organisations and communities.
Send your application to:
Human Resources Manager
Consumer Action Law Centre
Applications close 5 pm Tuesday 29 January 2019.