Ombudsman services


Legal services

Ombudsman services

Ombudsman services are where you can take a dispute with a licensed service or utility supplier once you have attempted to resolve the issue with the provider directly:

Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman
The Telecommunications Ombudsman resolves disputes between residential consumers and small businesses and telephone and internet service providers.

Financial Services Ombudsman
The Financial Ombudsman Service resolves disputes between consumers — including some small businesses — and member financial services providers. FOS deals with a  range of financial services disputes including banking, credit, loans, general insurance, life insurance, financial planning, investments, stock broking, managed funds and pooled superannuation trusts

Credit and Investments Ombudsman
The Credit and Investments Ombudsman  resolves disputes between consumers and member financial service providers.

Energy and water ombudsman services in each state and territory resolves disputes between consumers and licensed energy suppliers and water businesses.

ACT – ACT Civil and Administrative Tribunal
(note that ACT consumers may also complaint to the New South Wales Energy and Water Ombudsman)

NSW – Energy and Water Ombudsman NSW

Northern Territory – Utilities Commission of the Northern Territory

Queensland – Energy and Water Ombudsman Queensland

South Australia – Energy Industry Ombudsman SA

Tasmania – Energy Ombudsman Tasmania

Victoria – Energy and Water Ombudsman (Victoria)

Western Australia – Energy Ombudsman Western Australia


Regulators can explain your rights, take action against businesses and, in the right circumstances, help consumers resolve complaints. While making a complaint to a regulator may not always result in an individual outcome, it can mean the regulators are better informed about business conduct and take compliance and enforcement action where needed.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC)
The ACCC can offer advice about consumer rights, resolving a complaint and, where appropriate, investigate and take action against traders.

Further information can be found on the For Consumers section of the ACCC’s website, or by calling the ACCC on 1300 303 609.

The Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC)
ASIC is Australia’s corporate, markets and financial services regulator. It acts to ensure Australia’s financial markets are fair and transparent, supported by confident and informed investors and consumers. ASIC also has a consumer education website

State fair trading / consumer affairs office
Australia’s state governments play a major role in enforcing consumer law and assisting consumers. State fair trading / consumer affairs offices may be able to help resolve your complaint and your experience can help them improve trading practices.

ACT – Office of Regulatory Services

New South Wales – NSW Fair Trading

Northern Territory – Consumer Affairs

Queensland – Office of Fair Trading

South Australia – Consumer and Business Services

Tasmania – Consumer Affairs and Fair Trading

Victoria – Consumer Affairs Victoria

Western Australia – Department of Commerce

Legal services is a new website from the Victoria Law Foundation to help Victorians understand the law and their legal system.  The site draws together easy-to-understand legal information into one location along with a range of other basic information about the law and legal system. If we can’t help you, perhaps Everyday-Law will have what you need.

Legal services outside Victoria




National Association of Community Legal Centres


Legal Aid QLD


Legal Aid New South Wales


Financial Rights Legal Centre NSW


Legal Aid Western Australia


Women’s Legal Services Australia


Consumer Credit Legal Service WA


Legal Aid Commission of Tasmania


Hobart Community Legal Service


Legal Services Commission of South Australia


Consumer Credit Law Centre SA


Legal Aid ACT


Care Inc. Financial Counselling Service


Northern Territory Legal Aid Commission