Consumer Action Law Centre has a vacancy for a Solicitor. You’ll join our legal team providing telephone advice to callers, undertaking strategic casework and litigation, identifying systemic issues and researching the law and reviewing legal documents.
What does this role involve?
You’ll be required to:
- Conduct litigation on behalf of consumers and manage cases across the variety of dispute resolution forums;
- Provide telephone and email advice to members of the public who call our legal advice line, to financial counsellors, and to other community workers concerning consumer law, credit and debt matters.
- Identify systemic problems for consumers, and contribute to policy and campaign activities relating to consumer and credit law;
- Develop and implement dispute resolution strategies that will likely result in a benefit to a significant number of disadvantaged and vulnerable consumers;
- Take part in planning and presenting community education, training and outreach services to community workers and others.
- You hold, or are eligible to obtain, a current unrestricted practising certificate in the State of Victoria and have 2-5 years post admission experience;
- You have some experience in commercial litigation and have conducted matters in both courts and tribunals;
- Your commitment to advancing the public interest and social justice can be seen from your work and/or volunteer experience to date;
- You enjoy applying your outstanding legal research and technical legal analysis skills;
- You’re interested in identifying systemic issues and keen to hone your ability to identify policy and advocacy opportunities based on casework experience;,
- You’re flexible, enthusiastic, and open to the challenges of work in a community legal centre;
- You know a little, or a lot, about consumer law, and you’re keen to learn more.
This is a fixed term position for one year located at our offices in Melbourne CBD. Extension may be possible however this is subject to funding. The salary offered will be between $75,000 – $82,000 per annum, depending on experience, plus superannuation. Consumer Action Law Centre offers fringe benefit salary packaging to employees, so depending on individual financial circumstances the value of the salary may be equivalent to $5,000 – $7,500 higher.
A full Position Description is attached below.
HOW TO APPLY
If you’d like to apply, send your CV together with a cover letter outlining your responses to the following:
- How have you shown a commitment to advancing the public interest and social justice in your work and/or outside work activities?
- Tell us about a time you worked with disadvantaged, low-income, culturally and linguistically diverse client groups: how did you ensure your communication was effective, and what factors did you consider to ensure your advice and advocacy was appropriate and meaningful/effective for the individual concerned?
- What is the most challenging matter you have worked on in your legal career thus far?
Send your application to:
Human Resources Manager
Consumer Action Law Centre
Applications close 5pm 4th of February, 2019.