- Work for one of Australia’s leading not-for-profit consumer advocacy organisations
- Join a fast-paced team that has a direct impact on national policy
- You’ll get to work with policy experts, seasoned campaigners, communications professionals, lawyers and financial counsellors to shape better laws that impact all Australians.
- Policy specialist role
- Financial services and/or insurance background
- Negotiable FT/PT
- Leading NFP consumer advocacy organisation
ABOUT CONSUMER ACTION LAW CENTRE
Our vision: a just marketplace where people have power and business plays fair
Our purpose: to make life easier for people experiencing vulnerability and disadvantage in Australia
We’re an independent, not-for-profit consumer organisation based in Melbourne. We’re a unique organisation to work for because in addition to our policy and campaigns work, we also run direct services that support vulnerable consumers in Australia, including an award-winning legal practice and the Victorian arm of the National Debt Helpline. Our policy work and campaigns integrate the work of our direct services for high impact.
ABOUT THE TEAM YOU’LL JOIN
The policy and campaigns team at Consumer Action has been highly influential in helping to shape a fairer system. In 2018/19 the team had 350 engagements with industry, regulators, politicians and community advocates. We drafted 45 submissions to government and industry inquiries, got our issues in the media over 4,500 times and shaped landmark national inquiries like the Banking Royal Commission.
We’re looking for a policy officer who can hit the ground running. You’ll have a background in law or policy and ideally you’ll have some familiarity with the financial services sector. If you don’t, then you’ll have proven experience in getting across new policy areas quickly. You’ll have a few years policy experience under your belt and you’re looking for a role where you can have a clear and direct impact on Australian law reform.
You’ll be working closely with our Senior Policy Officer who is focused on insurance to provide support in drafting submissions, conducting research and analysis, sourcing and drafting case studies. In the wake of the Banking and Financial Services Royal Commission, this role is an opportunity to focus on critical policy reform that could see considerable transformations in the regulation of the insurance industry.
You’ll be working to make insurance contracts fair, put an end to unfair sales practices and stopping the funeral expenses rip off.
REWARDS AND BENEFITS
The salary range offered will be the annual equivalent of $85,000 – $88,000, pro-rata. Consumer Action Law Centre offers FBT salary packaging therefore, depending upon personal financial circumstances, the value of the salary may be equivalent to up to approximately $5,000 – $7,000 higher. Additional benefits include:
- An engaged, high-impact and friendly work culture. Consumer Action is a high impact organisation that has consistently secured policy change in Victoria and nationally that has made life better for vulnerable Australians. This job is your opportunity to implement campaigns that have real and lasting impact and to work with a high-performing and passionate team;
- Flexible working programs such as compressed hours, flexible hours, work-from-home and purchased leave;
- Learning and development opportunities
This is a short term contract position with an immediate start available if desired: duration may be full time for 3 or 4 months, or part-time for 5-6 months, as negotiated. Prompt applications are encouraged.
A full position description and more information is available here