About the role
Consumer Action is one of Australia’s leading not-for-profit consumer advocacy organisations, that makes life easier for people experiencing vulnerability and disadvantage.
Read the full position description.
We are looking for a legal practice litigation expert to join our high impact legal team. This role will be responsible for leading on complex litigation and identifying strategic legal issues, developing trends and emerging problems. You will be responsible for running several litigation files, identifying trends, systemic issues and legal issues for possible strategic litigation, and is a source of practical expertise for our casework.
This a full time permanent position.
Specifically, the Managing Lawyer, Strategic Litigation will:
- Manage 2-3 lawyers
- Mentor the legal practice of 10-15 lawyers on complex litigation matters and to assist the practice on complex consumer law issues that arise through its legal advice lines.
- Lead high impact legal representation in consumer, credit and insurance law matters in courts, tribunals and external dispute resolution forums.
- Liaise with the Consumer Action Policy and Campaigns Team to identify priority legal issues.
- Work collaboratively with members of the legal practice to help consumers better understand their legal rights and options and connect vulnerable consumers to appropriate services.
Rewards and Benefits
- Join a highly engaged and motivated team
- Option of compressed hours with one RDO per fortnight
- Comprehensive training and professional development opportunities
- Receive superannuation of all period of unpaid and paid Parental Leave
- Salary range $100,000 to $120,000
The successful applicant will:
- Be a qualified legal practitioner holding, or eligible to hold, a principal practicing certificate and trust account responsibilities.
- Have demonstrated substantial experience in civil litigation in courts and tribunals typically associated with 6-10 years post admission experience.
- Have a good working knowledge of consumer law, consumer credit law, evidence law, costs law, debt enforcement procedures and legal ethics.
- Have demonstrated substantial experience in dispute resolution, particularly in court ordered mediations and external dispute resolution forums; advanced negotiation skills.
- Have developed negotiation skills and experience in dispute resolution forums, including external dispute resolution forums.
- Works effectively with high degree of autonomy and accountability; self-motivated and can demonstrate initiative, sound time management and ability to deal with competing priorities under pressure.
- Demonstrated skills communicating with and advocating for disadvantaged, low-income, culturally and linguistically diverse client groups.
- Strong understanding and ability to apply and guide others in managing legal risk for the benefit of clients and the organisation.
About Consumer Action
Consumer Action Law Centre is an award winning campaign-focused organisation with a vision for a just marketplace where people have power and business play fair. As a high impact advocacy organisation they influence change in policy, law and industry practice across a range of consumer issues. The centre’s advocacy is based upon its direct services, provided by dedicated and highly qualified teams of lawyers and financial counsellors who advise, assist and represent vulnerable and disadvantaged consumers across Victoria. The Centre is particularly focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce that reflects the communities we serve.
Consumer Action Law Centre is committed to building a diverse workforce. We strongly encourage applications from First Nations people, people with disability, people from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, people of all ages, and LGBTIQA+ people. If we can make any adjustments or modifications to standard recruitment processes that will support and enable your application, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Apply
Please send a Covering Letter and Resume to Recruitment@consumeraction.org.au
Applications Close 5pm, 16 December 2022