Consumer Action provides free legal information and referral to Victorians with fair trading or consumer finance problems by email and over the phone.  We can also provide free legal advice about these issues to Victorians who earn less than $65,000 per year or face challenges because they are experiencing the circumstances set out below.

Please click on the “chat with us” box in the corner below for free legal help.

Priority is given to Victorians who may face challenges because they are:

  • Living on Centrelink payments or a low income.
  • Facing family violence or relationship breakdown.
  • Living with a disability or significant health problems.
  • Experiencing homelessness, or are at risk of homelessness or geographic isolation – living in rural or regional areas.
  • Facing marginalisation due to age, gender, sexuality, race or cultural background.
  • Are in custody, detention or involuntary psychiatric settings.

Bushfire Assistance

Please contact us if you have been affected by a bushfire and need assistance with a consumer law, insurance,  finance or debt matter.
We can provide legal advice and assistance to people regarding matters affecting them personally (rather than their business). We will help you even if your annual income is over $65,000. We can also provide information and referrals for small businesses and primary producers who have been affected by bushfires.


Free legal help can be accessed via the phone numbers below or via our online resources & toolkits.

LEGAL HELP LINE: 1800 466 477
(Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 10 am – 1 pm)


KOORI HELP LINE: 1800 574 457
(Monday – Friday 10 am – 1 pm and 2pm – 5 pm)

Print Friendly, PDF & Email