How Can We Help?
You are here:

CCR02-How do I get a free copy of my credit report?

You are entitled to a free copy of your credit report.

Where is my credit report?

Credit reports are created and held by private companies called credit-reporting bodies. There are three consumer credit-reporting bodies in Victoria:

  • Equifax
  • Illion, and
  • Experian

The Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and the Credit Reporting Privacy Code regulate what type of information can be kept by credit reporting bodies, how long it can be kept for and who can access the information.

The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner has responsibility for ensuring that the Privacy Act and the Credit Reporting Privacy Code are followed.

Can I get a free copy of my credit report?

You can obtain a free copy of your credit report from each of the credit-reporting bodies every 3 months. The law states that you should receive your report within 10 days.

You may be charged a fee if you have already obtained a report from the same credit-reporting body in the last 3 months. You can also be charged if you ask for your report sooner than 10 working days. If you are charged a fee, it must not be excessive.

You can also apply for a free copy of your credit report within 90 days of being refused credit by a credit provider.

How do I get a copy of my credit report?

All the credit reporting bodies require you to complete a form or make a written request. They will ask you for identifying information, which might include:

  1. Your full name
  2. Your date of birth
  3. Your driver’s licence number
  4. Copies of identification (like a driver’s licence, birth certificate or Proof of Age card, as well as an official document with your name and address (i.e. rates notice, utility bill or bank statement))
  5. Your current and previous address
  6. Your current employer or previous employer
  7. Name of the organisation to which you last applied for credit
  8. A daytime telephone number


You can apply for your credit report online at, by calling 19 8332 or write a letter with the identifying information set out above. Send the letter to: Equifax, GPO Box 964, North Sydney, NSW 2059.  Indicate if you would like your file sent to you by post, email.


Apply online at  Or complete a copy of the ‘Application for personal credit report’ form and send this by post with:

  1. A copy of your driver’s licence, passport, birth certificate or proof of age card; and
  2. A copy of a document issued by an official body (such as a utility bill or bank statement).

You can send the completed form to:

Illion Public Access Centre

PO Box 7405

St Kilda Road

Melbourne VIC 3004


Experian Credit Services Australia
Apply online ( or by calling 1300 783 684.


If you request your credit report, your current contact details will then become available to any lenders, creditors or debt collectors who check your report.

What if my credit report is incorrect?

If the information is not correct, ask the credit reporting body to correct it. For further information on disputing the contents of a credit report, refer to How can I clear my credit report?

Further information

Australian Financial Complaints Authority
Tel: 1800 931 678 

Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC)
Ph: 1300 363 992



Warning: This fact sheet is intended as a guide to the law and should not be used as a substitute for legal advice.  This information applies only in Victoria and reflects the law as at 22 July 2021.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Skip to content