- When you buy goods or services, those goods or services must meet certain standards called ‘guarantees’ under the Australian Consumer Law.
- Use this template letter if you purchased defective goods or services and you want a refund or replacement from the trader.
- This fact sheet should be read in conjunction with our factsheet entitled Taking your matter to VCAT.
Click here to download our sample letter: Defective good & services.
Information about your consumer rights can be found on the Consumer Affairs Victoria website:
- Refunds, repairs and replacements
- problems with a product (consumer guarantees)
- problems with a service (consumer guarantees)
Information about your consumer rights can be found on the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission website:
Consumer Action Law Centre
Ph: (03) 9629 6300 or 1800 466 477 for country callers.
If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment, you can call through the National Relay Service (NRS):
- TTY users can phone 133677 then ask for 1800 466 477
- Speak & Listen (speech-to-speech) users can phone 1300 555 727 then ask for 1800 466 477
- Internet relay users can connect to NRS on www.relayservice.com.au then ask for 1800 466 477.
Warning: This fact sheet is for information only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. This information applies only in Victoria, Australia and was updated on 31 December 2015