About the role
Consumer Action is one of Australia’s leading not-for-profit consumer advocacy organisations, that makes life easier for people experiencing vulnerability and disadvantage.
The senior solicitor will conduct legal casework, participate in outreach and training activities and provide specialist advice to advice line callers. The successful applicant will be a part of a high impact legal practice team which contributes to the education, policy and campaign work of Consumer Action.
Specifically, the senior solicitor will:
- Provide effectively targeted consumer legal advice
- Conduct high impact legal representation in consumer and credit law matters in courts, tribunals and external dispute resolution forums.
- Build an effective and sustainable community sector through the provision of legal advice to workers in complex cases.
- Work collaboratively with members of the legal practice to ensure that consumers better understand their legal rights and options and connect vulnerable consumers to appropriate services
- Undertake legal research and related administrative tasks where required
- Support and conduct outreach work as required and facilitating team participation in outreach initiatives
- Proactively identify systemic issues and contribute to policy and campaign activities
- Implement dispute resolution strategies
- Mentor and provide specialist knowledge to less experienced staff
Rewards and Benefits
- Join a highly engaged and motivated team
- Option of compressed hours with one RDO per fortnight
- Superannuation on unpaid parental leave
- 16 weeks parental leave, purchased leave scheme available
- Comprehensive training and professional development opportunities
- Salary range $91,474 to $95,531
The successful applicant will:
- Be a qualified legal practitioner holding, or eligible to hold, a current unrestricted Victorian Practising Certificate
- Have specialist knowledge of consumer and credit law, its legislative framework and regulation generally
- Have significant demonstrated experience in litigation in various jurisdictions including tribunals and courts
- Have a deep understanding of the role of strategic litigation and risk management
- Be able to model the highest professional and ethical standards
- Have developed negotiation skills and experience in dispute resolution forums, including external dispute resolution forums
- Have demonstrated communication skills for culturally and linguistically diverse client audiences.
- Have a strong awareness of the social context of clients and their legal issues.
About Consumer Action
Consumer Action Law Centre is an award winning campaign-focused organisation with a vision for a just marketplace where people have power and business play fair. As a high impact advocacy organisation they influence change in policy, law and industry practice across a range of consumer issues. The centre’s advocacy is based upon its direct services, provided by dedicated and highly qualified teams of lawyers and financial counsellors who advise, assist and represent vulnerable and disadvantaged consumers across Victoria. The Centre is particularly focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce that reflects the communities we serve.
Consumer Action Law Centre is committed to building a diverse workforce. We strongly encourage applications from First Nations people, people with disability, people from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, people of all ages, and LGBTIQA+ people. If we can make any adjustments or modifications to standard recruitment processes that will support and enable your application, please contact us at email@example.com
How to Apply
Please send a Covering Letter and Resume to Recruitment@consumeraction.org.au
For more information see:
Applications Close 5pm, 8 April 2022