Consumer Action has provided feedback on the Consultation Draft Behind the Meter Distributed Energy Resources Provider Code. We consider:
- the name of the code should be readily understood by the public;
- the code should promote consumer protection as a means to ensuring innovation benefits consumers;
- the code should prohibit all forms of unsolicited selling, or require an ‘opt-in’ model for unsolicited selling;
- the code should require signatories to only deal with credit providers that are appropriately regulated; and
- the sanctions available for breach of the code should be robust and the code should not unduly limit their application.