The policy officer will work within the Policy and Campaigns Team to provide policy analysis, research and strategic advice on consumer issues. The successful applicant will get to work with Consumer Action’s leading policy minds, consumer lawyers and financial counsellors to support the policy and campaigns team to build and execute campaigns.
This is a fixed term role until 30 June 2023.
Specifically, the role will:
- Develop policy positions, undertake research and prepare briefs, reports and other materials.
- Support the Director of Policy and CEO in advocacy involving governments, regulators, businesses and others for the implementation of legislative, regulatory and business practice reform.
- Prepare submissions for government and regulatory processes.
- Establish and maintain relationships with influential external stakeholders.
- Represent Consumer Action in external forums and work co-operatively with stakeholders.
- Collaborate and support the work of other advocacy organisations.
- Work closely with the legal practice and financial counselling teams to identify and analyse issues arising from their casework that contribute to the development of policy.
- Develop policy and campaign projects.
- Ensure public messaging is consistent with Consumer Action policy positions and act as a media spokesperson as required.
- Support the Director of Policy and Campaigns identify opportunities, assist the development of funding applications to support energy and water policy and project work.
Rewards and Benefits
- Join a highly engaged and motivated team
- Option of compressed hours with one RDO per fortnight
- Superannuation paid on unpaid parental leave
- 16 weeks parental leave, purchased leave scheme available
- Comprehensive training and development opportunities
- Salary range $88,000 to $92,000
The successful applicant will have:
- A tertiary degree in a relevant discipline, such as law, economics or public policy, law and/or equivalent demonstrated experience in a similar field, together with a demonstrated commitment to social justice and fairness.
- A highly developed conceptual thinking and analytical skills evidenced by the ability to analyse and articulate underlying causes of vulnerability and disadvantage, to understand and critique relevant legislation and legislative reform options, and to ground both in a consumer policy context.
- Familiarity with the theory and practice of policy making and research, particularly consumer policy and regulatory issues.
- Advanced communication written and verbal skills that demonstrate the ability to communicate in clear and interesting ways that understands the target audience
- A proven capacity to confidently undertake public speaking and represent the organisation through public consultation and media avenues, and effectively use online and other forms of public engagement appropriate to the target audience.
- Able to design, develop, implement and evaluate complex projects.
- Demonstrate a highly developed collaborative working style that respects and engages colleagues in a multi-disciplinary centre.
About Consumer Action
Consumer Action Law Centre is an award winning campaign-focused organisation with a vision for a just marketplace where people have power and business play fair. As a high impact advocacy organisation they influence change in policy, law and industry practice across a range of consumer issues. The centre’s advocacy is based upon its direct services, provided by dedicated and highly qualified teams of lawyers and financial counsellors who advise, assist and represent vulnerable and disadvantaged consumers across Victoria. The Centre is particularly focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce that reflects the communities we serve.
Consumer Action Law Centre is committed to building a diverse workforce. We strongly encourage applications from First Nations people, people with disability, people from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, people of all ages, and LGBTIQA+ people. If we can make any adjustments or modifications to standard recruitment processes that will support and enable your application, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Apply
Please send a Covering Letter and Resume to Recruitment@consumeraction.org.au
Applications Close 5pm, 10 June 2022. Read the full Position Description.